
Holiday Inn Bulawayo: Zimbabwe's BEST Hotel? (You'll Be SHOCKED!)
Holiday Inn Bulawayo: Zimbabwe's BEST Hotel? (You'll Be SHOCKED!) – A VERY Honest Review
Okay, so here's the deal. I just got back from Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, and yeah, I stayed at the Holiday Inn. "Zimbabwe's BEST Hotel?" That's a bold claim, right? Well… buckle up, buttercups, because this isn’t a corporate brochure. This is my take, the unfiltered, slightly grumpy, and occasionally delighted human experience.
First Impressions & Accessibility (and my slightly arthritic knees)
Landing in Bulawayo is… an experience in itself. Let’s just say the airport isn’t exactly JFK. But the driver the hotel sent (airport transfer – check, a huge plus!) navigated the pot-holed roads like a seasoned pro. First thing: the Holiday Inn looked promising. Spacious. Clean-ish. Definitely not falling apart, which, considering some of the other options, is already a win.
Now, I'm not completely immobile, but let's just say stairs and I aren't best friends. Accessibility is a big deal to me. And, thankfully, the Holiday Inn makes a decent effort. Elevator? Check. Ramps where they're needed? Check. While I didn't put them to the ultimate test (I wasn't rolling in a wheelchair), everything seemed designed with reasonable accessibility in mind. The facilities for disabled guests are definitely a key plus. I noticed the exterior corridor access to some rooms, which is handy for someone like me avoiding long hallways.
Rooms: Wi-Fi and… the Unspoken Promise of Quiet
Alright, let's talk rooms. Air conditioning, naturally. That's an absolute must in Bulawayo. The Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! is a big selling point. And, it actually worked! (Unlike some other places I've been where "Wi-Fi" is just a cruel joke.) I needed that Internet Access – Wireless. I mean, I’m running a failing blog! I needed to write!
I'm a sucker for a decent bed. My room had the obligatory Extra long bed. Blackout curtains? Check. Sigh. A good sleep is a lifeline when you're travelling. The soundproofing… well, let's say it tries. Some nights I heard the distant rumble of traffic, and on others, the faint echoes of conversations from down the hall. Not perfect, but way better than the hotel I stayed in last year where I was pretty sure I could hear the neighbors’ digestion cycles!
Now, every room has Air conditioning, which gets an automatic win. You know you are somewhere that is worth visiting when. They also offered Bathrobes, Slippers, and other perks, but to be honest, the Hair dryer was what really got me excited.
I also have to say, the Daily housekeeping was consistent so.
Dining, Drinking, and Dodging the Buffet Bullet
Okay, the food. Here's where we get to the heart of the matter. The Breakfast [buffet] was… a thing. Let’s just say it was “international,” which is a polite way of saying it covered a broad spectrum of, well, things. I opted for the Western breakfast, and while it wasn’t gourmet, the omelets were decent. The Coffee/tea in restaurant was surprisingly good! (Yes, I’m easily pleased by caffeine). I also enjoyed the Bag of water.
There were several Restaurants, including an Asian cuisine in restaurant. I wasn't brave enough to go for it, let's be honest, but I did sample the Happy hour at the Bar! The Poolside bar was a nice touch for a sundowner (or three).
I did appreciate the 24-hour Room service [24-hour] and the Coffee shop.
My BIGGEST Surprise: The Pool with a View
This is where the Holiday Inn actually surprised me. Bulawayo, in some ways, feels like a city that's been unjustly forgotten. Finding a bit of serenity is… precious. The outdoor Swimming pool [outdoor] area was surprisingly lovely. The Pool with view was a definite highlight. I spent a glorious afternoon just lounging there, watching the sun beat down, and sipping a cold drink while typing on my laptop. I even dipped a toe in the water. Divine.
Things to Do and Ways to Relax: Scrubs, Wraps… I WISH!
Okay, I’m not going to lie. The website promised a full-blown spa experience. Sigh. This is where the Holiday Inn's ambitions sometimes outstripped its reality. There was a Fitness center, which I, naturally, avoided. The Sauna, Steamroom, all the proper equipment to enjoy some time off. But… I didn’t feel like it, and that is fine. And what about a Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage, Spa, Spa/sauna??? I still cannot say if they were actually available!
Cleanliness and Safety: The COVID Era
Let’s be realistic: travel in the age of COVID requires a different level of scrutiny. The Holiday Inn, to their credit, seemed to take things seriously. Hand sanitizer dispensers were everywhere. The staff wore masks, and I saw them cleaning constantly. Professional-grade sanitizing services, Rooms sanitized between stays etc.** The Daily disinfection in common areas was reassuring.** I also appreciated the Anti-viral cleaning products and they also offered Cashless payment service and Sanitized kitchen and tableware items.
Services and Conveniences: The Bits That Make Life Easier
The Holiday Inn scores decent points here. Concierge service was helpful. Laundry Service and Dry cleaning, are of course a plus! Baby-sitting service is available, and that is great.
Hidden Gems and Quirks (and a few gripes)
- Cash withdrawal: The hotel had this – saved me a lot of hassle.
- The "Shrine": There was a little shrine in the lobby. I'm not sure what it was, but it added a touch of local flavor.
- The Internet [LAN] access. The most amazing thing was the Car park [free of charge].
Is Holiday Inn Bulawayo Zimbabwe's BEST Hotel?
Look, let's be realistic. Is it the most luxurious hotel in the world? Nope. Does it have a few rough edges? Absolutely. But does it offer a comfortable, safe, and convenient base from which to explore Bulawayo? Absolutely. It's clean, the staff is friendly, and the pool is a genuine oasis. So, "best" is subjective. But for the price, and in a city where options can be limited, the Holiday Inn Bulawayo delivers.
The Final Verdict:
I’d stay there again. And that’s the highest praise I can give.
My Persuasive Offer (Because I'M Secretly Marketing This Hotel Now)
Tired of the ordinary? Craving an authentic African adventure?
Book your stay at the Holiday Inn Bulawayo and experience a surprisingly delightful escape!
Here's what you get (besides a roof over your head):
- Reliable Wi-Fi: Stay connected, even in the heart of Zimbabwe.
- A Pool Paradise: Relax, unwind, and soak up the Bulawayo sunshine.
- Comfort Meets Convenience: Accessibility taken seriously, and a staff ready to assist you.
- A surprisingly good breakfast buffet. (Okay, maybe not gourmet, but definitely edible. And the coffee is good!).
- Explore Hwange National Park: Take day trip to the park to discover the region's amazing diversity.
Limited-Time Offer: Book your stay BEFORE [Insert Date] and get [Insert a specific perk, like a free welcome drink or a discount on a massage – assuming they actually have massage].
Click here to book now and discover the real Bulawayo! (And okay, maybe I'll see you there!)
Greek Island Paradise: Adults Only Luxury at Akrotiri Beach Resort
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because you're about to get a FULL THROW-DOWN inside my brain after a trip to the Holiday Inn Bulawayo. This ain't your Aunt Mildred's itinerary; this is the raw, unfiltered truth, warts and all. Prepare for feels!
PRE-TRIP: The Anticipation (aka, Panic Buying Socks)
Okay, let's be honest. Zimbabwe? Bulawayo? My inner geography nerd squealed with delight. My outer geography nerd was completely unprepared. I'd researched the heck out of the Matobo Hills (more on that later, oh boy…) but the practicalities? Suddenly, I discovered I owned zero appropriate socks. Apparently, you need tough socks in Southern Africa. Lesson learned: Amazon Prime is your friend. And so is a good pair of hiking boots.
DAY 1: Arrival & The Great Breakfast Debacle
- 06:00 AM - Flight from [Your City] to Johannesburg: The usual airport chaos. Delayed flight. Crying babies. The usual jazz. My anti-anxiety meds were earning their keep.
- 10:00 AM (ish) Arrival in Johannesburg, connecting to Bulawayo: Ah, the eternal layover. Spent the time pretending to be productive. Failed spectacularly. Found a Pret a Manger and had a very overpriced sandwich. Worth it.
- 14:00 PM (ish) Touchdown in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe: The heat hit me like a warm, slightly dusty hug. Immigration was surprisingly smooth, but hey, the airport was small. Small is beautiful. Grabbed a cab to the Holiday Inn - the driver, bless him, had a gravelly voice and a story for every pothole. "That's where the lion escaped, that's where the… oh, just hold on, we're going over the bumps."
- 15:00 PM Check-in at the Holiday Inn: Okay, the lobby wasn't exactly the shimmering marble palace I'd envisioned. But it was clean, the staff was friendly, and the air conditioning was a godsend. That is what mattered.
- 16:00 PM - 18:00 PM Exploring the hotel grounds. (The pool! The gardens!) This is where it started getting good. The pool was inviting, and I just stood staring for a good 20 minutes.
- 18:30 PM - Dinner at the hotel restaurant: And then, the Breakfast*. Ugh. I am a breakfast person. It's crucial to my functioning. It was a buffet, a sprawling landscape of potential breakfast greatness. And then…oh. The toast was dry, the eggs resembled rubber, and the coffee tasted like disappointment. This was where the "emotional reactions" started kicking in. I am dramatic. I know it. I secretly filmed myself lamenting the lack of decent breakfast food. (And probably, I posted it on my private story.) BUT I saw the staff working so hard and I just looked at them and thought, "Good on you, buddy, you are doing the best you can."
- Observation: Okay, the people in Bulawayo? Absolutely lovely. Everyone says hello, smiles, and wants to chat. I felt so much less like a tourist and more like… well, just a person. It was a breath of fresh air.
DAY 2: Matobo Madness (and the Emotional Rollercoaster)
- 08:00 AM - Breakfast (Take 2, but I was wiser and took more croissants): Learned a valuable lesson: Stick to the pastries. At least the croissants were decent.
- 09:00 AM - Matobo Hills Tour: This was the big one. The main event. I HITCHHIKED! (I might be exaggerating a tiny bit) and the view was absolutely breathtaking. Okay, the Matobo Hills… Holy. Mother. Of. Rocks. I mean, seriously. These granite domes just rise out of the landscape like the Earth is flexing its muscles. We're talking ancient rock formations, San Bushman paintings (the art! The history!), and the grave of Cecil Rhodes (blah blah imperialism, but the view from his grave is stunning, let's be real).
- 09:30 AM - 13:00 PM - Hike and exploration. A long one but worth it. Imagine climbing over giant, smooth boulders, the wind whipping through your hair, the sun baking you from above. This is where the magic really happened. The hike was tough! At one point I seriously wondered if I was going to make it. Did I mention I am not used to physical activity?
- Anecdote: At one point, I almost slipped off a boulder and probably would have died if the guide hadn't pulled me up. I swear, my life flashed before my eyes and I thought, "I've eaten far too much bread."
- 14:00 PM - Return to the Holiday Inn, mostly in one piece: Food, a shower, and a long nap. The best things in life.
- 18:00 PM - Dinner at the hotel. AGAIN! I had this amazing idea to order a cocktail. It was called "Zimbabwe Sunset" and tasted 4th of July juice. But hey, I was in Zimbabwe, and all the staff were smiling and laughing.
DAY 3: Cultural Stuff & The Great Book Search
- 08:00 AM - Breakfast (Croissants, the savior): Still clinging to the pastry life.
- 09:00 AM - Explore Bulawayo. I wander the area. People watching is the best.
- 11:00 AM - Visit the Bulawayo Railway Museum: Trains! History! Nostalgia! I was in my element until…
- Observation: The museum was cool with the old trains, but my main focus was on finding a bookstore. I needed a novel. I wanted escapism.
- 12:00 PM - The Great Book Search: Now, finding a bookstore in Bulawayo turned out to be a quest worthy of Indiana Jones. I asked everyone. Literally, everyone. "Bookstore? Books? Reading? Novel?" Eventually, fueled by hope and a growing caffeine addiction, I found one: a tiny, dusty gem tucked away on a side street. I probably spent two hours there, digging through piles of books, the smell of old paper filling my lungs.
- Emotional Reaction: I felt like a kid in a candy store. Finally, I found the perfect book: a historical fiction set in Zimbabwe. YES!
- 14:00 PM - Lunch (sandwich purchased). I devoured the sandwich.
- 15:00 PM - Relax at the hotel or swimming pool. Read my newly acquired book. I spent hours, just lying by the pool and reading my book. It was bliss.
- 18:00 PM - Dinner (the restaurant. Again.) I should have tried something different, but I was comfortable. I started chatting with a couple at the next table and ended up laughing with our waiter, who told us all his family tragedies.
DAY 4: The Departure & The Aftermath (aka, Post-Travel Blues)
- 08:00 AM - Breakfast (You guessed it… croissants!): I'd become a creature of habit. And hey, at least I knew what to expect.
- 09:00 AM - Check-out: The process was painless, the staff were helpful, and I left a decent tip. I did what I could.
- 10:00 AM - Airport More waiting, more delays. More time for introspection.
- 18:00 PM (ish) Back home. The post-travel blues hit hard. The world felt very… grey. I spent the next few days reminiscing, looking at photos, and trying to recreate the taste of those terrible breakfasts.
- Quirky Observation: I came home with bags of tea and some art. I am not a fancy art person, but I felt good contributing to the community.
CONCLUSION
Bulawayo and the Holiday Inn? It wasn't a perfect trip, no. Did everything go to plan? Nope. Did I have a good time? Absolutely. The imperfections, the awkward moments, the slightly disappointing breakfasts… all of it was part of the experience. And honestly? That's what made it real. Would I go back? In a heartbeat. Bring on the granite rocks, the friendly faces, and yes, even the dodgy coffee. Zimbabwe, you stole a piece of my heart. And, thank you to the very kind people who served me.
Escape to Paradise: Minimi Inn's Stunning Sail Rock Beach House in Taiwan!
Holiday Inn Bulawayo: Zimbabwe's BEST Hotel? (You'll Be SHOCKED!) - An UNFILTERED FAQ
Okay, is the Holiday Inn Bulawayo *actually* the BEST hotel in Zimbabwe? Seriously?
Woah, hold your horses there, partner! "BEST" is subjective, right? And in Zimbabwe, let's just say expectations can be… flexible. Look, I've stayed in places where "hot water" was a mythical creature whispered about in hushed tones. **Is the Holiday Inn Bulawayo the Taj Mahal of Zimbabwe lodging? No. Is it a solid, reliable, and frankly, a welcome oasis? Absolutely.** It's CLEAN, the staff generally tries their BEST (more on that later), and the AC actually *works*. That alone puts it head and shoulders above some spots! Don't go expecting Buckingham Palace, think… maybe a particularly well-maintained, friendly motel with a pool. And trust me, after a dusty day exploring Bulawayo, that pool is GOLD.
The Rooms… Are they haunted by the ghosts of past conferences? (Or, y'know, are they decent?)
Okay, the "haunted" comment… maybe a little extreme. But let's be REAL. Rooms are… standard. Think 'business travel chic' meets 'slightly faded charm'. They're clean, generally well-maintained (a HUGE plus!), and the beds, while not cloud-like havens, are perfectly acceptable after a long day. The air conditioning is RELIGIOUSLY maintained (bless!), and the bathrooms are… functional. Look, you're not going to write home about the decor, but you're also not going to be screaming in terror because a cockroach has decided to become your roommate. And honestly, after a few days of Zimbabwean adventures, that’s a win. I remember one time, though… the shower pressure was *pathetic*. I think I actually felt *cleaner* before I got in. I finally had to just give up and take a bath. Annoying, but, ya know, life happens.
What about the food? I've heard hotel restaurants can be… risky…
Alright, buckle up buttercup, because the Restaurant situation is… a roller coaster. The breakfast buffet IS a lifesaver. You've got your standard fare - eggs, bacon, toast, fruit… and the coffee is… tolerable. (Caffeine is key, people!). Lunch and dinner? It varies. Sometimes it's decent, sometimes it's… less so. I once ordered a steak that could've been used to resole a boot. Seriously tough. But hey, at least it *was* a steak! And other times, I've had surprisingly DELICIOUS meals. The local dishes are often your best bet (think sadza and well-cooked meat). The staff can be… *enthusiastic* with the pepper. So, maybe start with a small pinch. And be prepared for the occasional delay. Things move at a slightly more… leisurely pace in Zimbabwe. Embrace it, it's part of the charm. Or, you know, pack some snacks.
Is the service attentive? I hate being ignored! (Or conversely, being hovered over like a hawk.)
This is where things get interesting. The staff? They're lovely people. Truly. Generally, they're friendly, helpful, and genuinely try. But… and this is a BIG but… service can be *inconsistent*. Sometimes you'll get impeccable, lightning-fast service that makes you feel like royalty. Other times… well, you'll be staring longingly at your empty water glass for a good twenty minutes. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just… *Zimbabwean*. Patience is key. And a polite smile goes a long, long way. I remember one time, I was trying to pay with a credit card, and the machine just… failed. Multiple times. The poor guy was mortified. We eventually got it sorted, and he was so relieved. So yeah, be patient, be kind, and remember they are working hard. And tipping appropriately is definitely appreciated!
What's the vibe like? Is it a happening place, or a bit… quiet? And is it safe?
The vibe? It's more… functional than funky. It's not exactly a party central. Think business travelers, conference attendees, and the occasional tourist. The pool area is usually pretty relaxed. It's a good place to decompress after a day exploring Bulawayo. And for safety? Bulawayo, and the hotel specifically, feels generally safe. Of course, always practice common sense – keep valuables secure, be aware of your surroundings, etc. But I never felt particularly uneasy. The hotel has security, which is reassuring. I felt a LOT safer here than wandering around some of the less-populated tourist areas, to be brutally honest. And the best part? There's a bar! And sometimes, after a long day, all you want is an ice-cold lager and a quiet chat. Sometimes, that's all the "happening" you need.
Okay, the pool. Is it actually swimmable? And is it clean? (Because let's be honest…)
The pool. Oh, the POOL! This is a selling point, let's be honest. And YES, it's swimmable! And YES, it generally appears to be clean. Clean enough to plunge into after a sweaty day of sightseeing? Absolutely! It's a decent size, and there are usually some sun loungers available. However… I will say… I *once* saw a couple of rogue leaves floating about. And maybe, just maybe, I *suspected* that the water was… well, it was *swimming* in chlorine. Lots of it. So, if you're particularly sensitive, maybe wear goggles. But seriously, the pool is a godsend. After a day of bouncing around in a 4x4 on dusty roads, there's nothing better than taking a refreshing dip. Just don't expect a pristine, Olympic-size pool. It's a pool, people! Be grateful!
Any hidden gems or things to watch out for? What's the "insider" scoop?
Hidden gems? Hmm… Well, the hotel's location is pretty good. It's relatively central, making it easy to get around. Walk to the city center? Maybe not. But taxis are readily available. And be prepared for power outages. They can happen. Bring a phone charger that works on a variety of power sources, and maybe a headlamp or your phone's flashlight. The real "insider" tip? Book a room facing the pool. It's quieter and generally has a better view. And don't be afraid to ask the staff for recommendations – they're usually happy to help. They can direct you to the best local restaurants or advise on the best things to do. Also, the WiFi can be… spotty. Download your important stuff before you go, just in case. And finally… Embrace the chaos! Zimbabwe is an amazing country, and the Holiday Inn Bulawayo, while not perfect,Hospitality Trails

