
Hoi An's Hidden Gem: Lan Uyen Homestay - Unforgettable Vietnam Stay
Hoi An's Hidden Gem: Lan Uyen Homestay - More Than Just a Homestay, It's a Hug (and a Massage!)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the (delicious, fragrant) tea on Lan Uyen Homestay in Hoi An. This isn't just another "hotel review." Think of it as a travel diary entry scribbled on a napkin after one too many glasses of strong Vietnamese coffee. This place… this place is an experience. And spoiler alert: I loved it.
First Impressions (And My Dumb Luck Getting There)
Okay, let’s be real. Navigation in Hoi An is a nightmare. The charming narrow streets are also… well, let’s just say my sense of direction is worse than a goldfish’s. Finding the place, even with GPS, took a little… shall we say… “adventure.” (Okay, I got gloriously lost, and the scooter I rented nearly took a dive into the river. But hey, character building!). Thankfully, though, once finally stumbling through their beautiful gate I was greeted with a genuine smile and a cool, refreshing drink. Instant relief! That was the first hug Lan Uyen gave me. And believe me, it wouldn't be the last.
Accessibility (Because Let’s Be Real, We All Need Easy Sometimes)
Now, I didn't specifically need wheelchair access (thank goodness!), but I did take note. The entrance was lovely and open, and I saw an elevator - a blessing in a place where stairs are sometimes the only option. Elevator. That's a big win, folks. And a huge plus for people with mobility issues. I saw Facilities for disabled guests listed, too, which is fantastic. They've clearly thought about making this place welcoming to everyone. Now if only they could install a GPS device for me…
Rooms: Where Comfort Met Charm (And My Sleep Debt Vanished)
Right, the rooms. This is where Lan Uyen really shines. I had a beautiful room with things like: Air conditioning (essential!), a Blackout curtains (absolute game changer for this light sleeper), a Safe box (for my precious trinkets and slightly less precious cash), and Free Wi-Fi (more on that later!). Bonus points for the extra long bed - I'm tall, and usually bed comfort is a disaster when traveling, but I slept like a baby.
I could happily live in that room. Seriously. It was spotless (thank you, Daily housekeeping!), tastefully decorated with local art, and the soundproofing was top-notch. No street noise, no chattering guests, just sweet, sweet silence. It was a sanctuary. They've got a desk. Also, a sofa. Basically, every single element just screamed “relax here”. The vibe was pure comfort. They clearly know how to make you feel at home.
Oh, and the bathroom? Heavenly. Separate shower/bathtub? Yes, please! Plenty of hot water! Hair dryer? Check. Toiletries? Yep, and they were actually nice (none of that cheap, skin-drying stuff!). They provided clean and fluffy towels, and bathrobes. Little details really make a bigger impact on the customer.
Internet: Praise the Wi-Fi Gods (And the Lan Uyen Team!)
Let’s talk internet. Because in the modern world, Wi-Fi is practically oxygen. And, thankfully, Lan Uyen delivers. The free Wi-Fi was strong and reliable in my room (I mean, I'm writing this review, aren't I?). I even saw them advertise Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! and Wi-Fi in public areas which I used a bit more. I also saw they provide Internet [LAN]. You’re covered here, whether you need to stay connected for work or just want to binge-watch your favorite series (no judgment!).
Food, Glorious Food! (And My Belly's Eternal Gratitude)
Okay, food. This is where things get really good. The Asian breakfast was a revelation. Freshly cooked pho, fluffy banh mi, and the most amazing coffee I've ever tasted. Seriously, I still dream about it. They also have a Western breakfast, but trust me, embrace the local flavors.
They've got a full-blown restaurant, with A la carte in restaurant, serving Asian cuisine (obviously) and other yummy delights. I tried the salad, and it was fresh and flavourful. There's a coffee shop downstairs, and you can grab drinks in the bar! I even saw a poolside bar, perfect for sipping cocktails while gazing at the pool. They had a buffet in restaurant, that was amazing! The buffet was filled with everything you could ask for!
There was Room service [24-hour], so if the hunger pangs hit at midnight… well, you're in luck! There are also the options for Alternative meal arrangement, and Vegetarian restaurant.
Relaxation Station: Where You Can Officially Unplug (Literally And Figuratively)
Alright, let's get to the good stuff. Lan Uyen offers a whole host of ways to melt your stress away.
- The Pool with a View: Stunning. Just stunning. Crystal-clear water, surrounded by lush greenery. Perfect for a morning dip or an afternoon lounging session.
- Massage: They offered various massages. I chose the foot massage, and it was divine. One of the best I have ever had. They offer a Body scrub and a Body wrap as well. The Spa/sauna seemed pretty tempting.
- **Sauna & *Steamroom*: Unfortunately, I didn't have time to use them. But, they still sounded AMAZING!
- Gym/fitness room: I am not the biggest fan of the gym, on vacation, but for the real motivated people, it is great.
Cleanliness, Safety & The Whole "Peace of Mind" Thing
In today’s pandemic-ridden world, this is crucial. And Lan Uyen really shines. I noticed Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, and Rooms sanitized between stays. They also offer Room sanitization opt-out available. All of this is so reassuring. I saw Hand sanitizer stations everywhere. They also offered Cashless payment service. They also had Doctor/nurse on call, and First aid kit. I guess they took safety seriously.
They had CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside property .Fire extinguisher, Smoke alarms. They also had Security [24-hour] and a Front desk [24-hour]. You can tell they care.
Services & Conveniences: Making Your Life Easier (Because You Deserve It)
Lan Uyen offers a ton of services designed to make your stay effortless.
- Airport transfer: Huge win. Makes getting there (and getting out) a breeze.
- Laundry service & Dry Cleaning: No need to pack a suitcase full of clothes!
- Concierge: They happily helped with everything from booking tours to offering local restaurant recommendations.
- Currency exchange: Super helpful for when you run out of Dong (which, trust me, you will).
- Luggage storage: Perfect for before check-in or after check-out when you wanna keep enjoying Hoi An.
- Daily housekeeping: Blissful.
- Breakfast in room: So, so dreamy.
- Ironing service: For those of us who can't iron to save our lives.
Things To Do (Beyond Just Eating and Sleeping - Though Those Are Excellent Options)
Lan Uyen is perfectly positioned for exploring Hoi An. It is just a quick walk away from the heart of town, and close to many local temples.
The Imperfections (Because Let's Be Real, Nothing's Perfect)
Okay, I'm not going to lie, no place is perfect. There was one tiny hiccup. During the first day, the shower temperature fluctuated a teeeeeny bit. But honestly, it was so minor I almost didn't mention it. And the staff were on it immediately. Fixed in a jiffy.
My Verdict: GO! (And Maybe Bring Me Back Some Coffee)
Lan Uyen Homestay isn’t just a place to stay. It’s an experience. A hug. A warm welcome. Pure, unadulterated relaxation. The staff are genuinely lovely, the location is perfect, and the food is to die for. Do yourself a favor and book a stay. Seriously. You deserve it.
SEO-Friendly Offer (Because, You Know, Google):
Tired of Tourist Traps? Discover Hoi An's Hidden Gem: Lan Uyen Homestay – Your Unforgettable Vietnamese Escape!
Looking for:
- Wheelchair-accessible accommodations in Hoi An? We've got you covered!
- Free Wi-Fi in Hoi An? Connect effortlessly with our strong, reliable Wi-Fi in all rooms and public areas.
- Amazing food in Hoi An? Indulge in delicious Asian cuisine, Western breakfast, and a full-service restaurant. *

Lan Uyen Homestay: A Hoi An He-Said, She-Said Adventure (and Maybe Some Pho) - A Messy Itinerary
Okay, so I’m back from Vietnam. And honestly, my brain is still a chaotic bowl of noodles (delicious, delicious noodles, but still… chaotic). This "itinerary" is less a precision-engineered travel plan, and more a messy, emotional vomit of what actually happened at Lan Uyen Homestay in Hoi An. Consider yourself warned. Buckle up. And for the love of all that is holy, pack your bug spray.
Day 1: Arrival, Jet Lag, and the Great Laundry Debacle (Oh, and Pho, Obviously)
- Morning (or what felt like morning, thanks to jet lag): Landed in Da Nang. Smoothish flight. Except, the guy behind me snored like a chainsaw. This trip was immediately shaping up to be an adventure. The Lan Uyen Homestay shuttle picked us up (thank GOD, public transport after 16 hours in the air would have broken me). The ride was scenic! Green rice paddies whizzed by, punctuated by colorful houses. This was already better than the airport.
- Afternoon: Arrived at Lan Uyen. GORGEOUS. Seriously, the photos don't do it justice. Lush gardens, a tranquil courtyard, and a general vibe that screamed "Zen… until you actually try to fold your laundry." (More on that later). Check-in was lovely. Tea, smiles, all the good things. Our room? Immaculate. AC? Praise be. We just collapsed for an hour. Or maybe it was three. Who knows anymore?
- Late Afternoon/Early Evening: THE PHO EXPERIENCE. Alright, people, let's talk Pho. It was our first meal in Vietnam, and I was so ready. We wandered into a tiny, bustling restaurant just down the road from the homestay. Honestly, the place looked like it hadn't been updated since the 1970s, but the aroma… holy cow. The Pho. The broth was rich, the noodles delicate, the herbs… oh, the herbs! Cilantro explosions, minty magic, chilis that woke up every single taste bud. My eyes watered with joy, and I almost forgot about the chainsaw snoring. Almost. This was the first moment of pure, unadulterated bliss. My travel partner, Sarah, on the other hand, kept saying, "I don't get it. It's just soup?" (We're still working through this. It’s a long road).
- Evening: Laundry. Or, the laundry from hell. Lan Uyen offers laundry service. "Easy peasy," I thought. "I'll just dump everything in the bag." Wrong. The laundry came back, smelling AMAZING, but folded into origami-esque shapes of pure… confusion. My t-shirts looked like angry swans. Sarah’s underwear was arranged in a perfect pyramid. We spent a solid hour laughing, re-folding, getting increasingly frustrated, and ultimately, just giving up. (Embrace the wrinkles, people! It's part of the adventure.)
Day 2: Exploring Hoi An & The Tailoring Trauma (and Why I Now Have a Silk Shirt)
Morning: Sunrise! (Or, you know, a slightly cloudy morning). Decided to walk into Hoi An Ancient Town. It’s a short, pleasant walk from Lan Uyen. The streets were already buzzing with life. Vendors hawking everything from silk lanterns to ridiculously cute hats (I desperately wanted one. I resisted. I am… I think… proud of myself). The architecture is stunning. Like, seriously, I just kept staring up at the buildings. The Japanese Covered Bridge? Insta-worthy. The old houses? Full of history and charm. The sheer everything of it felt completely different from our lives, and it felt liberating.
Mid-Morning: The Tailoring Tango. Hoi An is famous for its tailors. I, being an idiot, thought I'd get a custom-made suit. Sarah was more sensible and opted for a silk shirt. The experience was… chaotic. Being measured, being given fabric swatches, deciding on styles. The tailor was a lovely woman, but her English wasn't perfect, and my Vietnamese was non-existent. There were moments of genuine panic, followed by fits of laughter. I walked away with a suit that, while not perfect, is… functional. And Sarah? She has a silky, glorious shirt. It's a reminder that she's better at making decisions than I am.
Lunch: Banh Mi. Because, duh. We found a little street cart and inhaled a Banh Mi each. Crisp bread, flavorful filling, the perfect combination of textures (and the potential for an hour of food coma afterward). The best thing about it was just watching the world go by, all the colors, the sounds, the smells of the market.
Afternoon: The Lantern Boat Ride - A Moment of Melancholy Beauty (This deserves its own section)
Okay, so, lantern boat ride. After what felt like a decade on the streets, we were haggard from exploring, and we were tired. It was late afternoon, the sun dipped down, and the lights just started springing alive around the town. We purchased small lanterns and boarded a small boat on the Thu Bon River. The water, reflecting the hundreds of colorful lanterns, was a sight. The air was cool, the sounds of the city fading, so a quiet, calm feeling. The boatman rowed silently along. Lanterns floated past the boats, and we could feel the beauty of the whole scene. The beauty of the lanterns, the stillness, the calm, the slow, deliberate energy of the entire experience. It all felt impossibly peaceful. I almost cried. Not because anything was sad, but because it was so freaking beautiful, and I felt… overwhelmed. It was perfect. It was also a reminder that this trip wasn't just about seeing the sights; it was about feeling. It was about letting the place wash over you. It was… it was just perfect.
Evening: Dinner at a restaurant by the river. Seafood. Cocktails. Watching the lanterns dance on the water. Trying not to think about the suit. Success: Partial.
Day 3: Cooking Class, Coconut Boat Fun, and Farewell (for now)
Morning: Cooking Class! Lan Uyen offers cooking classes. We were up early for a trip to the market with the chef to find ingredients. The class was hilarious. Chopping vegetables, struggling with chopsticks, and discovering the joys of cooking Vietnamese spring rolls. The food was, of course, incredible. I came home with a few recipes I might actually try.
Afternoon: The Coconut Boat Adventure - And Why My Arms Ache
We booked a trip on coconut boats. This was sold as "relaxing". It was NOT. The boats go through the Bay Mau coconut forest. The rowers are locals. The seats made of woven bamboo were not exactly comfortable. I went with Sarah, and she managed to book us in the same boat, and they took us and began spinning the boats around, and the noise from the boats filled the forest. We were given some drinks and snacks, and the next few minutes involved the boatman spinning our shallow, round boats around and around. We were on a ride that felt like a fairground. We were rowed through narrow waterways with the most incredibly lush green surroundings. The next few moments felt like a carnival, complete with the boatman balancing items on his head and singing traditional songs. This was fun, but intense. After that, they began to row the boats. The ride was beautiful–the scenery alone made it worthwhile. But the rowing? My arms. I swear, my biceps felt like they were going to fall off after. I'm still recovering.
Late Afternoon: Pool time at Lan Uyen. Pure bliss. The pool is gorgeous, and the gardens are even more relaxing. We spent an hour doing nothing but relaxing and soaking in the peace of the place.
Evening: Farewell Dinner & a Final, Glorious Bowl of Pho: One last meal in Hoi An. One last chance to revel in the flavors. We opted for a simple but perfect dinner. Then, a walk home, and a moment to absorb the memories. I'm already planning my return (and another silk shirt).
Imperfections, Ramblings, and Other Thoughts:
The Heat: Brutal. Hydrate. Constantly. Seriously.
The Mosquitoes: They love me. Pack DEET.
The Motorbikes: A constant ballet of chaos. Just… breathe.
The Language Barrier: Embrace it. Laugh. Be patient. Learn a few basic phrases. It makes the experience richer.
Lan Uyen Homestay: Book it. Seriously. It's a little slice of heaven. The staff are wonderful, the gardens are stunning, and the vibes are impeccable.
Missing: We should have stayed longer. I didn't see or do everything. That's okay. It gives me a reason to go back.
Lessons Learned:
- Don’t order a custom suit at the end of the trip.
- Bring more bug spray.
- Learn to relax and just let the adventure happen.
- And most important: Pho is life.
So, that's it. My incredibly
Loei Love: Thailand's Hidden Gem You HAVE to See!
Okay, spill the tea (or *ca phe sua da*), is Lan Uyen Homestay REALLY as good as everyone says?
Ugh, don't even get me started! Look, I'm a cynical travel blogger, right? I've seen so much hype, so many Instagram-perfect bungalows, you know the drill. And honestly? Lan Uyen Homestay… stole a piece of my heart. I went in expecting fluffy pillows and generic smiles, and I got… *family*. Seriously. Remember that time I was totally wrecked from a dodgy street food incident? (Okay, fine, it was *maybe* four spring rolls. Okay, maybe five.) The owner, Ms. Lan, brought me homemade ginger tea and wouldn't leave my side until I felt better. Talk about above and beyond! It's not just about pretty photos; it's about the genuine warmth. But... (whispers)... it's not perfect. More on THAT later. Let's just say... the bathroom experience sometimes felt like a slightly elevated camping trip.
What's the *vibe* like at Lan Uyen? Is it full of honeymooners or backpackers getting hammered?
THANK GOD, not the latter. Okay, maybe *occasionally* a slightly inebriated backpacker doing the "I love Vietnam!" shout from the balcony. But mostly? It's chill. Picture this: lazy afternoons by the pool (small, but perfectly formed), the scent of frangipani in the air, the gentle hum of cicadas. Mixed crowd. Definitely some honeymooners, holding hands and looking ridiculously in love (eye roll emoji). But also families, solo travelers, couples who've been together forever... it's a melting pot of people just *enjoying life*. I even bonded with a retired librarian from Ohio! We gossiped about bad travel guides and shared our favorite books. Honestly, it feels like a proper community, not just a collection of hotel rooms.
The pool... is it actually swimmable, or just a glorified puddle for Instagram?
Okay, the pool is small. Let's get that out of the way. It's not Olympic-sized. You're not going to be doing laps. But it's beautifully maintained, cool, refreshing, and perfect for a post-adventure dip. Plus, it's next to the bar! So, you can literally get a fresh coconut and a cocktail brought to you while you're lounging in the water. Pure bliss. And yes, I might have spent a concerning amount of time there, fueled by said cocktails, reading my book. It's not a "puddle," though. It's a *sanctuary*. And sometimes, when the sun hits it just right, it's pure gold.
Food! Tell me about the food! (Is Vietnamese food enough to make me want to stay there forever?)
OMG, the food. Okay, I'll be honest. I’m a picky eater. I’m also a glutton for punishment when it comes to trying new things. The breakfast is included and AMAZING. Think fresh fruit, fluffy omelets, strong coffee. But the real magic happens at dinner! Ms. Lan is a culinary genius. We’re talking authentic Vietnamese dishes, cooked with love and fresh ingredients. I’m not exaggerating when I say the *Cao Lau* (Hoi An's signature noodle dish) was the best I’ve had in my life. And trust me, I've had a lot of Cao Lau. We ate at the homestay almost every night because going out felt criminal. One night, I even helped—*tried* to help—prepare spring rolls. Let's just say my wrapping skills were… less than stellar. Ms. Lan just laughed and expertly rewrapped them. The food alone is worth the trip. If I could, I'd move in just for the meals.
What are the rooms like? Are they clean? (because *ick...* I'm a clean freak!)
Okay, here’s where we get *real*. The rooms are clean, yes. They're tastefully decorated in a minimalist, traditional style. But... (deep breath)... some are definitely better than others. I snagged a room with a balcony overlooking the lush garden, and it was almost perfect. However, I heard from a couple of other guests that the rooms towards the back can be a bit… noisy. And the bathroom, as I mentioned before, isn’t exactly a five-star spa experience. The water pressure wasn't the strongest. Again, NOT a dealbreaker, but manage your expectations, okay? It's a homestay, not a Ritz-Carlton. Also, the air conditioning worked… intermittently. It was hot and humid, so that became a minor drama queen moment for me, because, let’s be honest, I’m dramatic. But the beds are super comfortable, the mosquito nets are effective (essential!), and the whole place just has a certain charm that you can't deny. It has character. I think that's the word.
Okay, let's talk about the location. Is it actually a "hidden gem" or just... far away from everything?
The location is... a bit of a double-edged sword. It's definitely not in the heart of the Ancient Town craziness. Which is GREAT, because sometimes, you NEED an escape. It's a 10-15 minute bike ride (bikes are free to use!) or a quick taxi to the center. Which means you're close enough to explore all the sights and sounds, but far enough to escape the swarms of tourists and the persistent tailors trying to hustle you. The downside is: if you're lazy like me, or running late, getting back and forth can feel like... *effort*. However, I spent one evening accidentally stranded at a bar two steps away from the homestay, simply because I was chatting with some fellow guests. I stumbled back after midnight. The night watchman, who was also the owner's son, gave me a friendly, tired smile before getting back to his book.
Any hidden fees or things I need to watch out for?
Not really. They're pretty upfront. You might get charged if you break something (duh!). The mini-bar is reasonably priced. You can either opt for a taxi or a bike ride to the main town, which both work and is the main cost during your stay. Laundry service is available, and it's CHEAP! Like, ridiculously cheap. But I did learn my lesson. Don't leave your favorite silk scarf in the laundry bag. (Let's just say it's now a slightly different shade of pink. And the owner just smiled when I brought it back. They were so used to such things!) Other than that, it was all pretty straightforward. Which, in Vietnam, is a win!

